Thursday, July 20, 2006

My Biggest Fear

My biggest fear is public bathrooms. Obviously I'm talking about the biggest of my "silly" fears (not fear of dying or losing a limb or anything like that). I hate using public bathrooms, especially ones where there are no stalls and you have to lock the door to the outside. Those are the worst because every time the door handle jiggles you freeze whatever you're doing and make ready to slam the door shut if need be. I get paranoid even in bathrooms that have the door lock and the slide lock, even with this double protection I try to get in and out as fast as possible. And then there are the bathrooms where none of the stalls lock. Either the lock is broken, or it the sliding part doesn't match up with the other side. I think I have posted about this before but one of my ideas for a new business is to hire myself out as a bathroom consultant. I would go around a make sure all the female restrooms had stalls with locks that work properly. I have been in places that have brand new bathrooms where the locks don't work. Talk about sh**y construction - if you are installing the door to a stall in a bathroom how hard is it to double check that the lock works? (Don't get me started on the crappy construction in Georgia, we have several outlets in our house that are obviously crooked, and the mirror in our downstairs bathroom is completely off center)

The second part to my fear of public bathrooms is that I am also terrified of walking in on someone. I knock, jiggle the door handle a few times, make a lot of noise before I walk in, open the door very slowly, etc. I don't know why this particular thing frightens me - I can't remember any horrible experiences from my childhood that may be affecting me now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

my biggest fear is something stuck in my teeth and no one tells me about it until hours after i ate whatever it is that's stuck! beware of broccoli!

Anonymous said...

I echo your sentiment on crappy construction in GA. But I guess that's what happens when you use cheap labor and put up a whole bunch of McMansions in very little time. I guess that's why I'd like to move into an older home and renovate; it might be older, but at least it would be unique and of sound construction quality.

Aisha said...

i thought i was the only one.....!

Aisha said...

what happened to your blog?? Did you change it on purpose? I've heard people are having issues with hackers....

mindtwister said...

This is a common issue with a lot of people...including myself...lol!

You think you have bad construction in GA, or even in a woman's restroom, imagine having this condition and having to actually stand next to someone else while they do their business.

I always considered women to be lucky, because you at least have stalls for every toilet, and not just a partition for a urinal. Mens rooms usually have lots of urinals, and about 2 stalls.

Just stopped by and wanted to let you know you aren't alone...lol!

Amanda said...

Hey Aisha - I just got bored with my blog design and decided to update it. Wasn't having a busy day at work:)