Tuesday, February 21, 2006

James "Fake" Frey

When I first heard about the allegations against James Frey I dismissed them as minor embellishments. But then I read the report on the Smoking Gun (read it here) and now I doubt everything James Frey says. And I am not going to read My Friend Leonard. At first I thought, "Well it's such a good book, who cares of some of the details were altered, as long as the heart of the story is true". But now I doubt anything in the book is true, except for the fact that he was actually in rehab. I think James Frey has always been someone who wanted to be bigger and badder than he really was and his image of himself in the book reflects that. But now, when the heat is on, he won't step up and say "I lied, most of the book is false". I think if he did that I would respect him. I still might not like him, but I would at least respect him. And I would be able to believe things he said in the future. As it stands now I wouldn't believe anything he said.

2 comments:

Aisha said...

I thought like you did that it was just a few exxagerations. So the whole thing is off? That sucks, I heard such good things about his book.

Amanda said...

Aisha - At this point I can't tell what is the truth and what isn't. Even if you look at excerpts from James' talk with Oprah you still can't tell. She asked him if the Smoking Gun report was true and he said something like a lot of it was true, but he never specified which parts. I am not bothered so much by the fact he embellished in his book but that he cannot come completely clean about it now.